Thursday, August 02, 2007

Packing for Bathex 2007.




The last 2 days have been spent organising and packing for my display of antique and vintage underwear at Bathex 2007. I've been allocated 12 feet of table space and as this will probably be in the centre of a hall, this involved making small portable stands to display 4 camisoles to their best advantage, using candlesticks, sections of cardboard cylinders from fabric rolls and sewn fitted covers for same. I also had to collect suitable boxes to give a tiered effect on the table, and round up about 12 metres of matching (cheap) fabric for table covers and table skirt. In the morning I have to spray paint 5 little wooden easels matt black to display some copies of photos of vintage underwear to complement the display. I'll try to take some photos of the display in situ, but for now I will show 2 of my pieces to whet your appetite. The top photo shows my "free traders" or divided drawers, dated about 1870's. Hand made broderie anglaise trims the legs, quite nicely embroidered. The second photo shows the bottom of my late Victorian / Edwardian long petticoat. It features bands of hand made bobbin lace in between insertions of broderie and other laces. Quite exquisite, slightly grey/white in colour, and very wearable. Now I'd better go and finish packing the case, or I'll never get to sleep tonight.

2 comments:

Mandy said...

These items are so lovely. The lace inserts on the petticoat are really delicate.
Thanks for sharing the pictures with us.

NormaH said...

Equisite stuff Christine. Can't wait to see more. Expecting a full report on your exhibit. Lucky duck to own such gorgeous work.