On her blog "inaminuteago" (see sidebar for link) Sharon B. invited us to list our tips for creativity. I had to really think about that, because my creativity is so chaotic, I don't think I have any useful tips ! However, here is what I know:
1. You can't force yourself to be creative. No matter how soon the deadline to finish a challenge/ submit an entry/ do a class sample you will NOT be able to magically produce your best work on demand.
2. The irony is that you will feel most creative when you don't have the time to be. It is so hard to resist the urge to put just a few more beads or sequins on the project as it is leaving the house / studio / craft room "because it just needs a little something more".
3. Your most creative moments will strike when you don't have the materials required to hand, and by the time you gather / buy / acquire the materials, the moment often has passed.
4. The moral of number 3 is you need to have a big stash of materials so that when the moment strikes, you're ready.
5. The hours between 11 pm and 3 am are my most creative. If I can stay awake, I can do great work.
6. Chocolate is a great source of energy at 2 am, just make sure you always have a good supply in the house (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!)
7. I love to look at other people's work and marvel at their ingenuity. I shouldn't, it just makes me feel lazy.
8. I need a "wife" to cook, clean, wash and keep house for me. Then I could spend more time in creative pursuits.
9. I need to learn to turn off the computer after I check my emails, reply to them, check out my forums and groups, post to my journal... You get the idea.
10. I should celebrate when I finish some stitching / costumes / lace / patchwork because I do good work, just not a lot of it. It feels good to finish something, I just need to complete a bit more.
Not sure how "helpful" that will be for others, but it sure was cathartic writing it down !